[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Feb 26 07:00:04 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 02:20:36AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:

>>Seriously though, from an artistic point, the idea is to make your image with
>>the fewest control points possible. So, NURBS are better than polygons (well,
>>kind of) and Subdivision surfaces are better still, and you have to be doing
>>extremely complex animation to make a good impact machine stutter.  Either
>>that, or the software is badly written.
>
>so what is the point of having insanely powerful gfx hardware if i'm never
>going to use it?  what does the RE2 or even an IR2 gain me? i'm kinda curious.

Well, you can't get an MCO for impact.  And, RE2 will slaughter at texturing.
Just try Quake2 (or better yet, quake3) out on the Onyx, and it should fly.

Also, it should be better than the Octane for many visualization tasks,
especially volumetric rendering (typically done as a texturing trick).

> > > hmmm.  well the offer still stand if you are interested.
> > I'm sure I'll take you up on it sometime.
>
> i'll have to see what i can do about picking up some projectors and we can
> start fooling around with the CAVE project idea.  although i would need an
> MCO if i wanted to do that.

If you get the second pipe running, you could get started with interesting
things without an MCO.

--
Joshua D. Boyd