[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Feb 25 21:18:09 CST 2002

> OK, there are two types of rendering.  Real-time (or near real-time)
> previews and final images.  Both Blender and Maya use OpenGL for realtime
> previews. Now, here is where there is a lot of mis-information.  Neither
> program uses OpenGL for final rendering.  They just don't do it.  Not one
> bit, not at all. I suppose they could, but the benifit would be so
> extremely minute that they just don't bother.

Hmm, OK.  So Maya is no better than Blender in this regard?
So that means I might as well just give up on Maya altogether, and running
Blender on this Onyx perhaps isn't a total waste after all? (someone reminded
me of the value of fast video when working with complex models...)

> Only a really crappy programming would use OpenGL
> completely for final output at this point in time.

Perhaps I misunderstood how it was originally explained to me, which was that
it would use the RE2 for rendering, and that this would be far, far more
efficint than cpu-based rendering.

> out by things like finite element analysis (used for weather and crash
> testing), geo-seismic exploration, etc.
and modeling nuclear explosions?

 : )

George