[rescue] Re: Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Feb 26 00:48:26 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:59:19AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> but probably mostly useless for me unless i get into professional video work.
> not that i'm discounting that as a possibility.  but i don't exactly have the
> skillset for it.

One can always learn.

> > http://www.lurkertech.com/lg/ will give you a good overview with regard to
>
> actually, i was asking more about video in general, not only as related to
> SGI.  nice page though.  that's cool.

It covers most of the relevent technical details about video also.

> > and saying what you mean by the parallel video ones?
>
> from what i can tell, the serial digital uses BNC style connectors.
> the parallel digital uses DB25 connectors.
>
> can't tell you much more than that.

> not sure what to make of that.  what would the parallel digital be used for?

Same thing that serial digital is used for I would imagine.  I'd have to do
more research to be sure.  I don't know what it would be preferable.
Converters are available.  No reason to buy it, but if you wanted to, the
converters for serial to parallel and vice versa are like $350 each
(http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=SER-100E).  SDI to
analog and vice versa and like $300 each (well, low end figure).  But, no
reason to buy those when the Sirius can do the job.

>>Unless you were actually trying to run a service bureau, my say would be to
>>just put the video on tape (meaning DAT/DLT) and have a service bureau take
>>care of putting it out to the desired format. This goes double for film work.
>
> i would probably have a hard time runngin a service bureau since i don't even
> really know what i'm doing. :)

That's probably a boring thing to do anyway.  Better to actually create content
in my book.

>>I think the sirius has s-video out.  You might as well use it rather than the
>>other formats.  The composite should be the same as used for TV, but it isn't
>>as good as the s-video.
>
> better than nothing if the tv i want to use doesn't have s-video inputs. :)

Oh. Well, in that case, you should just need a straight through adapter from
the BNC to RCA I believe.  Not sure where you would need to look to confirm
that.

--
Joshua D. Boyd