[rescue] Re: Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Feb 25 23:59:19 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:38:38PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >MCO.  then i get it home.  and it's not an MCO, but rather thie Sirius Video
> >box.  haul and a half i'd say. ;)
>
> Pretty sweet.

i'd say so.  especially considering that it would have added quite a bit to the
price of the machine.

> CCIR 601 is a digital video format.  Good for very high end stuff (well, what
> was once very high end).  Much better than firewire.  For once thing, it isn't
> compressed.

but probably mostly useless for me unless i get into professional video work.
not that i'm discounting that as a possibility.  but i don't exactly have the
skillset for it.

> http://www.lurkertech.com/lg/ will give you a good overview with regard to

actually, i was asking more about video in general, not only as related to
SGI.  nice page though.  that's cool.

> SGI machines.  CCIR 601 it turns out is the outdated term.  Now it is
> ITU-R BT.601-4.  Ack.  Forgive me if I choose to continue with CCIR-601 in
> leu of remebering that mess.

you can call it CCIR-601 if you'd like.  i won't mind. :)

> Mind posting pictures of the box in question,

not a problem, i'll do that this afternoon.

> and saying what you mean by the parallel video ones?

from what i can tell, the serial digital uses BNC style connectors.
the parallel digital uses DB25 connectors.

can't tell you much more than that.

> SDI-601 (CCIR 601 over serial digital, to my
> understanding) is a seperate option to be ordered in addition to the Sirius
> board.  But, you should be able to get converters, I think.  Physical video
> transfer methods of this caliper are a beyond my actual experience.  I haven't
> worked with anything better the S/Video in the real world, anything better I
> get from reading.

not sure what to make of that.  what would the parallel digital be used for?

> Unless you were actually trying to run a service bureau, my say would be to
> just put the video on tape (meaning DAT or DLT) and have a service bureau take
> care of putting it out to the desired format.  This goes double for film work.

i would probably have a hard time runngin a service bureau since i don't even
really know what i'm doing. :)

> I think the sirius has s-video out.  You might as well use it rather than the
> other formats.  The composite should be the same as used for TV, but it isn't
> as good as the s-video.

better than nothing if the tv i want to use doesn't have s-video inputs. :)

> The RE2 supports video out to, so you don't need to
> use the Sirius board.  But, why you wouldn't want to use it, I don't know,
> unless you are running out of VME slots.

but the RE2 doesn't have inputs.  which the Sirius does.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)