[rescue] Computer trash

Steve Pacenka sp17 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 25 17:12:07 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 17:22, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:09:16AM +1200, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> > High tech waste dumped in Asia (by US)
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1839000/1839997.stm
>
> Sounds to me like the companies who are buying the scrap are the ones
> dumping it after they've got what they want out of it, not the US.
>
> If I sell you a can of trash, and you dump the trash all over the
> road, who is responsible?

In a US domestic setting involving a material covered by CERCLA, the
generator of the waste, hauler, and disposer are all liable, with
limited exceptions.  The source must take precautions in choosing a
hauler and disposer of the material.

Europe seems ahead of the US in heading farther back in the industry
chain by having an original manufacturer take some responsibility for
what happens to their products after their useful life.  IBM in the US
has a voluntary equipment return program, accepting old equipment (not
only IBM branded) for a fee of $30 which buys a shipping kit for a
PC-scale system.  IBM either recycles or refurbishes and feeds to
charities:

  http://www.ibm.com/ibm/environment/products/pcrservice.phtml

Some companies evade their strict domestic laws by sending waste to
countries with less strict laws or enforcement about imported waste.
Helps the company bottom line, hurts the people and environment of the
recipient country.  Is this good business?  Is this good international
relations?

-- SP