[rescue] Computer trash

Dan Canaan flinters at picarefy.com
Mon Feb 25 16:41:20 CST 2002

At 04:22 PM 2/25/02 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:09:16AM +1200, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> > High tech waste dumped in Asia (by US)
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1839000/1839997.stm
>
>Sounds to me like the companies who are buying the scrap are the ones
>dumping it after they've got what they want out of it, not the US.

The company I work for (Ikon Office Solutions) takes in used copiers as
trade-ins and buyouts from customers who are upgrading to the latest and
greatest in Canon equipment.  Their old copiers that have a million or more
copies on them are sent down to Portland, OR, where they are then inspected
to see if they are rebuildable or not.  Most that have high mileage or are
just too old of a model for putting back into the field are sent to Algona,
WA, where they collect by the hundreds and are put up for sale by lots to
bidders.  Most are bundled up into containers for third world
countries.  The copiers usually work, but they may be 5-10 years old and
out of date.  It's not cost effective to repair or rebuild these machines
as newer ones are cheaper and more reliable as digital technology takes
over that field.

It's a sad fact, but it happens every day.  I know I'm keeping my eyes out
for those Canon Colorpass PC's that accompany the color laser
copiers.  They must be fairly heavily built for horsepower since they use
an ultra wide SCSI connection to the copier and are expected to do 11x17
full color 600 dpi scans at up to 50 scans a minute.  So far those seem to
be re-used a lot.  Drat.  :)