[rescue] Sun serial board

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Sat Feb 23 17:25:41 CST 2002

On Saturday 23 February 2002 15:43, you wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:59:39PM -0500, Andrew Sydelko wrote:
> > You should be able to see the device with 'prtconf' and whether or not a
> > driver has attached to it.
> >
> > /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag should also list off all sbus cards.
>
>             spif (driver not attached)

> So, the OS sees that the card is there, but it hasn't attached a driver.
> Practically, what does that mean for me?  And what is the next step.

Now you need the right "driver"/kernel module.  I'm pretty sure it's in the
SUNWstc package. the driver will be /kernel/drv/stc

> Also, I have a /usr/platform/sun4u directory, but there is no sbin
> sub-directory.  And /usr/platform/sun4m/sbin doesn't have prtdiag in it.
> I thought I'd check that since I am using a sun4m machine not a 4u with
> this serial board.  find / -name "prtdiag" doesn't return anything either.

You need the SUNWkvm package installed for that.

If it works not only should you see it "attached" in the prtconf but if you
run 'modinfo | grep stc' it should show up.

--andy.