[rescue] Sun serial board

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Feb 23 18:53:15 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 06:25:41PM -0500, Andrew Sydelko wrote:
> On Saturday 23 February 2002 15:43, you wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:59:39PM -0500, Andrew Sydelko wrote:
> > > You should be able to see the device with 'prtconf' and whether or not a
> > > driver has attached to it.
> > >
> > > /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag should also list off all sbus cards.
> >
> >             spif (driver not attached)
>
> > So, the OS sees that the card is there, but it hasn't attached a driver.
> > Practically, what does that mean for me?  And what is the next step.
>
> Now you need the right "driver"/kernel module.  I'm pretty sure it's in the
> SUNWstc package. the driver will be /kernel/drv/stc

I don't have the SUNWstc package installed (according to pkginfo), nor do
I have /kernel/drv/stc (but see below for what I do have).

Which of the 3 solaris 8 CDs would that package by on, and what partition do
I want for CD-Roms.  I'm assuming that they are ISO9660 format disks.

I want to know why Solaris 8 can't say "Oh, I was installed from CD-ROM.  I
probably should add a vfstab entry for a CD-Rom then."

> > Also, I have a /usr/platform/sun4u directory, but there is no sbin
> > sub-directory.  And /usr/platform/sun4m/sbin doesn't have prtdiag in it.
> > I thought I'd check that since I am using a sun4m machine not a 4u with
> > this serial board.  find / -name "prtdiag" doesn't return anything either.
>
> You need the SUNWkvm package installed for that.
>
> If it works not only should you see it "attached" in the prtconf but if you
> run 'modinfo | grep stc' it should show up.

OK, I found an stc file in /platform/sun4m/kernel/drv/.  I modload it, and it
shows up in the output from modinfo, but prtconf still shows it as unattached.

Is this not the right kernel module?  Also,  should I be doing anything with
the stc.conf file?

--
Joshua D. Boyd