[rescue] Indy question

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri Feb 22 19:26:18 CST 2002

>  > math is the same, but indigo2 prices are the different.  you'd be very
>>  lucky to unload even a top notch indigo2 for US$200.  i recently
>>  scored a 250mhz i2 for 3,000 yen.  that and a couple 100 yen make for
>>  a pretty cheap sgi set up -- assuming you have the monitor already.
>>  indigos will cost you about 10,000 yen.
>>
>Well, if that's the case, I'll send you my 10,000 yen Indigo, which is
>apparently very valuable in your market, and you send me a couple of those
>250mhz Indigo2's in trade and keep the change for your trouble...
>Oh, BTW, this one's equipped with a 9 gig 7200 rpm disk, XZ graphics and 384
>Megs of RAM, so the I2's need to come back similarly equipped.

George, George, George.  I would expect you of all people to
understand the value of an "Classic" or "Antique" machine rises with
age and rarity.  Indigos are popular because they were the first SGI
machines to truely catch on in the public interest. The Indigo was
the first SGI I ever saw.  I'm sure its hard to get one of those
things in Japan as well seeing as the shipping is attrocious and
there are so few of them around even in the US.  I have LOTS more
indys and I2s pass through my place than Indigos. (5 indys, 2
indigo2s, 1 Indigo)

>  >
>>  really cheap would be the indy.  1,500 yen.  what with all the octanes
>>  and indigo2s flooding the used market, no one wants these anymore.
>>
>except that the quality of the indy is crap, (as in excrement...).  This is
>why they are (and have always been) cheap.  The power supplies are cheap and
>weak, the airflow and cooling in them sucks, try to find reasonably priced
>higher-end 24 bit graphics for them, the case is cheap stamped sheet-metal,
>the processors are often R4600PC based, (which suck), there's only really
>room for one disk...  Need I go on?

I happen to have had good luck with my (relatively new to me) R4400
150 indy.  I have the nidec("bad") powersupply, a 4.5 gig medalist,
128mb ram and XL24 graphics.  Its my main SGI desktop at the moment
(can't runn the crimson AND the challenge on a single 15A circuit).

>I'd almost rather use a PeeCee...

I'll take the Indy you give up then.

daniel