[rescue] Indy question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Feb 22 22:18:59 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 08:26:18PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> > > math is the same, but indigo2 prices are the different.  you'd be very
> >> lucky to unload even a top notch indigo2 for US$200.  i recently
> >> scored a 250mhz i2 for 3,000 yen.  that and a couple 100 yen make for
> >> a pretty cheap sgi set up -- assuming you have the monitor already.
> >> indigos will cost you about 10,000 yen.
> >>
> >Well, if that's the case, I'll send you my 10,000 yen Indigo, which is
> >apparently very valuable in your market, and you send me a couple of those
> >250mhz Indigo2's in trade and keep the change for your trouble...
> >Oh, BTW, this one's equipped with a 9 gig 7200 rpm disk, XZ graphics and
> >384
> >Megs of RAM, so the I2's need to come back similarly equipped.
>
> George, George, George.  I would expect you of all people to
> understand the value of an "Classic" or "Antique" machine rises with
> age and rarity.  Indigos are popular because they were the first SGI
> machines to truely catch on in the public interest. The Indigo was
> the first SGI I ever saw.  I'm sure its hard to get one of those
> things in Japan as well seeing as the shipping is attrocious and
> there are so few of them around even in the US.  I have LOTS more
> indys and I2s pass through my place than Indigos. (5 indys, 2
> indigo2s, 1 Indigo)

The first SGI I saw was a skywriter at the franklin institute in Philly. Some
exhibit about weather prediction.  First I used was an Onyx at a local
university (highschool kid at the time).  First owned:  Well, I still haven't
managed to own one yet for a combination of space and financial reasons.

--
Joshua D. Boyd