[rescue] OT: B0rked educational system (was: Purdue/PSU)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Feb 15 20:28:01 CST 2002

> This is a bad thing.  Not everyone is meant to be college educated, (in my
> opinion, not everyone's meant to be a High School Graduate.)  We need ditch
> diggers and garbage men too.  Let's stop calling them "sanitation engineers"
> and expecting them to have four-year degrees.

In this area, when my mother was a school teacher (late 70s full time, into
the early eights as a substitute), she taught 7th and 8th grade, and there
were quite a few people she knew who weren't going to go to highschool,
let alone finish it.  So, she made sure that when they left her, they had the
skills they would need for life (minus a trade which was usually supplied by
the parents), and most of the kids did fine.

Even still, my parents know a large number of very smart people without
college degrees or highschool degrees, and a number of these people are
sucessful business men and entrepeneurs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd