[rescue] OT: B0rked educational system (was: Purdue/PSU)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 15 23:45:10 CST 2002

On February 15, George Adkins wrote:
> We need trade schools, we need vocational-based secondary schools, we need to
> step back to a system where a higher education means something, rather than
> continuing to churn out thousands and thousands of 22 year olds with
> sheepskins who still can't solve a simple quadratic equation, or calculate
> bouyancy in air, or explain to me who Tybalt was, or tell me who painted
> 'Woman of Venice", or tell me when the battle of Stamford Bridge was and why
> it was important to some young punk named William.

  Hey, I can't do any of those things.  But you'd better believe I can
write software and build networks with the best of 'em. ;)

  Specialization isn't for insects.  It's the way some of us run our
lives.  It works for me.

  (sure, I'd like to have a better understanding of "higher" math, but
my brain doesn't seem to work that way! :-/)

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire