[rescue] OT: B0rked educational system (was: Purdue/PSU)

ed at the7thbeer.com ed at the7thbeer.com
Fri Feb 15 20:06:41 CST 2002

Interesting take on the whole thing, but I'd go further and say pretty
much any advanced, non-technical degree is worthless these days.  I've
just got my BA.  It's worthless.  My work experience and hands-on is worth
tons more.  My mother got her EdD(PhD but in Education, so its an EdD
*shrug*) a few years ago.  It's essentially worthless, although she's well
qualified to do any number of things at the higher faculty and
administrative levels in a University or Graduate School.  Know what she
does now?  She went back to being an office manager -- it pays better.

The problem is that the degree itself isn't what's worthless.  Society's
perceptions are what is worthless, IMHO.

As for the quality of the school one attends, that's only a part of the
equation.  A good part of your education is dependent upon how much effort
you put back into it.  As a product of Jesuit schools(and soon to attend
another, I hope), I know this firsthand.  As a teaching order, saying
nothing of their religous preferences, they'll meet you half-way.  Put in
and the teachers will put in.  Slack off and they'll whack you a couple
times to get your attention.  But in the end, you write your own ticket.
I had friends that went to top-rated public schools, like Lowell in San
Francisco, that got less of an education simply because the instructors
themselves weren't engaged enough with the students.

As for welding, that depends, too. ;)  MIG and Oxy/Ac welding aren't
skills -- they're goddamn ARTS.  I know the techniques of welding and can
make a good weld with little effort.  But it looks like crap, that's for
sure.  A friend of mine that was a union steam and pipe fitter for many
years welds with a rosebud tip and a 24 inch flame...and the finished
product is gorgeous each time. :D

You get out what you put in.  Period.