[rescue] ss2 under load

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Feb 15 01:51:35 CST 2002

[ On Friday, February 15, 2002 at 02:32:36 (-0500), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] ss2 under load
>
> that is because they are spoiled by have a machine and all it's resources
> dedicated to just them.  i grew up sharing machines with anywhere from 20 to
> 20,000 other people.  i'm sure you were in the same position too at one time.

no, not really -- I went from a Sol-20 (S-100 chassis with 8080A CPU and
56KB of STATIC RAM and a pair of NorthStar floppy drives) running
NorthStar BASIC and then NorthStar's port of the UCSD p-System Pascal to
a PDP-11/60 running V7 and then a VAX-11/780 running 32/V (and later
4.1BSD).  Both of the latter were so drastic a jump in capability and
capacity that even when I was the only person in the terminal room late
at night I was still unable to fully appreciate what I could do with
such hardware.

These days I don't use iAPX86-based systems unless they're built in the
spirit of the VAX on the disk/RAM/IO side of things and they generally
give me a pretty good run for my money.

--
								Greg A. Woods