[rescue] ss2 under load

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Feb 15 01:47:41 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:51:35AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> no, not really -- I went from a Sol-20 (S-100 chassis with 8080A CPU and
> 56KB of STATIC RAM and a pair of NorthStar floppy drives) running
> NorthStar BASIC and then NorthStar's port of the UCSD p-System Pascal to
> a PDP-11/60 running V7 and then a VAX-11/780 running 32/V (and later
> 4.1BSD).  Both of the latter were so drastic a jump in capability and
> capacity that even when I was the only person in the terminal room late
> at night I was still unable to fully appreciate what I could do with
> such hardware.

ahhh, see i'm a little bit younger it would seem.  i started on VAX and
mainframes and went on from there.  i used PDP-11 machines a lot, but more
because i wanted to than needed to.  but then i still use PDP-11 machines
because i want to, the only difference is that they are in my house now. :)

> These days I don't use iAPX86-based systems unless they're built in the
> spirit of the VAX on the disk/RAM/IO side of things and they generally
> give me a pretty good run for my money.

i will use something like that in the workplace when i don't have any say over
what gets bought, but i will not for any reason buy one to go in my house.

-brian