[rescue] Re: I joined the SGI cult... Zeitnet anyone?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Mon Feb 4 11:44:57 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 12:22:40PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2002 12:02 pm, you wrote:
> > >
> > >   Well...dissimilar metals in contact corrode.  That's a fact of
> > > life.  But the question is how quickly.
> >
> > Out of dissimiliar metals the less "pure"/noble/electrwhatever corrodes.
> > Gold doesn't, no matter what you pair it with. Not without addition of
> > something very strong. Platinium is the only metal more .. unreactive.
>
> Unreactive? is that why they use platinum as a catalyst?  Because it doesn't
> cause reactions?  Gold isn't a bad catalyst either.

And you should know that catalyst doesn't take part in reactions apart
from speeding them.

> Just visualize in your mind...
> Two Metals...
> Different valences...

That's what's been going on.

> Humidity...

Water is generally useful because it has both H+ and OH- components.

> metallic tin (conductor),

Why tin and and why bring a third element?

> slowly becoming tin oxide (abrasive use in gem polishing).

SnO ?

> Themal changes cause expansion, contraction, motion...
> Micron by Micron, the Gold is worn away,
> Leaving exposed the real structure of the socket's teeth...

Ofcourse it will eat through the plating eventually but I doubt stronly
that it would do it because of thermoexpansion and abrasion.

> Copper (or aluminum).
> now, we have again...
> Two Metals...
> Different valences...
> Humidity... (you get the idea...)

It
So
hard..

.. single
word

--
"I guess she isn't too big on confined spaces"
"Hdn taitaa olla liian iso suljettuihin paikkoihin"