[rescue] Re: I joined the SGI cult... Zeitnet anyone?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Feb 4 11:22:40 CST 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 12:02 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:47:41AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On February 4, Joshua Johnston wrote:
> > > I don't know the technical reasons why the corrode off the top of my
> > > head, but I do recall that being one of the few "Hey, I didn't know
> > > that." Bits from my A+ study guide last year.  Something to do with the
> >
> >   Well...dissimilar metals in contact corrode.  That's a fact of
> > life.  But the question is how quickly.
>
> Out of dissimiliar metals the less "pure"/noble/electrwhatever corrodes.
> Gold doesn't, no matter what you pair it with. Not without addition of
> something very strong. Platinium is the only metal more .. unreactive.

Unreactive? is that why they use platinum as a catalyst?  Because it doesn't
cause reactions?  Gold isn't a bad catalyst either.
Just visualize in your mind...
Two Metals...
Different valences...
Humidity...
metallic tin (conductor),
slowly becoming tin oxide (abrasive use in gem polishing).
Themal changes cause expansion, contraction, motion...
Micron by Micron, the Gold is worn away,
Leaving exposed the real structure of the socket's teeth...
Copper (or aluminum).
now, we have again...
Two Metals...
Different valences...