[rescue] Re: I joined the SGI cult... Zeitnet anyone?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Feb 4 13:27:12 CST 2002

> > metallic tin (conductor),
>
> Why tin and and why bring a third element?

it's what "tin" leads are plated with...

> > slowly becoming tin oxide (abrasive use in gem polishing).
>
> SnO ?
SnO2 (cassiterite is the naturally occuring crystal)

> > Themal changes cause expansion, contraction, motion...
> > Micron by Micron, the Gold is worn away,
> > Leaving exposed the real structure of the socket's teeth...
>
> Ofcourse it will eat through the plating eventually but I doubt stronly
> that it would do it because of thermoexpansion and abrasion.

Yup. one wouldn't think that a few dozen strokes across newspaper would
polish steel either, but that's what I use to strop my straight-edge.
(Yes, I shave with a Straight Razor, smoothest shave you'll ever get.)

George