[rescue] Death of a PDP-11/Clueless office people...

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Sun Feb 3 23:52:35 CST 2002

DS> On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 15:09, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>   Yeah, I heard about that machine.  I nearly cried.  A Cyber205 is
>> an ENORMOUS machine though, and much harder to rescue than pretty much
>> any PDP11.

DS> Don't cry too hard.... they paid $10,000 for the beast, and got double
DS> that outta the scrap.

That is _not_ the point.  Any old machine should at least have one
chance of being rescued.  I'm _still_ considering a rescue attempt on
the PDP-11 even though it might cost my wife her job.  No machine
should die that way.  Engineers, programmers, system analysts, they
all put a part of themselves into every system they run.  Call me crazy
but I'm sure some system or network somewhere has a part of me in it.
I like to think that makes the world a slightly nicer and more
interesting place to live in. ;-)

That, in part, is why Dave M was about to send his "food money" to
rescue a large amount of hardware, why Bill's garage fills up, and why
this list even exists.

DS>   (i talked to the guy who scrapped it, and have
DS> 3rd round dibs on the metal plate signed by the engineers who made the
DS> beast) Honestly, i don't think i'd pay $10k for it.  and they even had
DS> higher offers (about $20k i heard)

They should have allowed _someone_ to give it a good home.

Even more OT - Do you think a mini system with a little of Dave M in it
would generate strange smells and lust after newer PCs?  Just a thought.
*grin*

Mike                         mailto:nimitz at owc.net