[rescue] miss me?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 29 11:46:51 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:58:31PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> No, it is pathetic that my life was beginning to revolve around that, to
> the point of withdrawing from other things. Probably a psychologist
> would have called it a dependant relationship.

Here would be a good place for a paragraph break.  A psychologist might
call this anal, but putting seperate topics in seperate paragraphs makes
replying easier (or mayby a psychologist would make some comments here
about laziness on the part of readers/repliers, follow by questions on
how you feel about your mother).

>                                                Since I have quit reading
> geeks I have actually managed to complete one of my goals, a web page of
> shortcuts, which I can access and add to from any browser.  I would like
> a way to handle long strings in an HTML table though, instead of
> resorting to a non-functional form input.  I do find it slightly
> frustrating that I can whip up a PHP page in a couple hours with
> multiple user access and make it do everything I want, but I spend 10
> hours trying to find a way to get the layout right, and all I end up
> with is a form kludge that looks different in every browser.
>
> http://pellucidar.net/weblinks

Good god man, that is hard on the eyes.  Perhaps a bit more color?  Like
maybe make the background of the current tabbed card a light blue, and
the background of the non-current tabs a slightly darker blue (which
would mean the links would need to be something that contrasts well
against a medium blue).

And perhaps different coloring and spacing on the entry portion (I'm
viewing in IE 5.5, BTW).  If it were me, I'd put that portion higher on
the page, and maybe have multiple lines for adding multiple entries at
once.  And, you might want to make the category control a drop down
box.  And do you allow people to enter a URL without a name, then have
the program see there is no name, and download the URL, and extract the
<name field>?

Once you have done all then, then you will trully have earned the badge
of too much time on your hands (either than or "Really Passionate about
his Link Collection").

I once ran a link management service that a few friends used.  It was
somewhat like yours, but with the extra features I suggested.  One day,
when I get my server finished and shipped to .fl, I will update it (it
needed a new backend I found), and make it available again.  I was
thinking of getting a name like mybookmarks.com, but then all these
my*.com sites became popular, and someone took it in 98 before I was
able to spare the cash needed (I didn't have friends who could help, and
thus would have had to get one of those $50+ moth hosting accounts and
the domains the selves were significantly more expensive) for running a
non-commercial service.

--
Joshua D. Boyd