[rescue] miss me?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Aug 29 13:05:21 CDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:46:51 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Good god man, that is hard on the eyes.

Black on default?  That shouldn't be hard on the eyes

Perhaps a bit more color?  Like
> maybe make the background of the current tabbed card a light blue, and
> the background of the non-current tabs a slightly darker blue

thought about that, hadn't picked colors yet. It would be a problem,
because the curved corners of the tabs are transparent, so any
background color is going to have a square background sticking out.  I
didn't want to try matching a picture color to the page background,
because some browser or other will screw it up, even using a web
pallette, but if I kept the page background white, any browser should
get that right.

> (which
> would mean the links would need to be something that contrasts well
> against a medium blue).

> And perhaps different coloring and spacing on the entry portion (I'm
> viewing in IE 5.5, BTW).  If it were me, I'd put that portion higher
> on the page, and maybe have multiple lines for adding multiple entries
> at once.

I already have a real ugly page I used to populate the database for
testing, that uses sessions so you don't have to keep entering your
password.  In normal use I don't expect to be adding multiple entries
very often.

  And, you might want to make the category control a drop down
> box.

That is a good idea, A drop down defaulting to current category.  I know
I have to whack out some javascript to get the user list to default to
current user anyway.

And do you allow people to enter a URL without a name, then have
> the program see there is no name, and download the URL, and extract
> the<name field>?

well, I was thinking about it, but the overhead on that would be a
little high, since this isn't a real program, it's just a PHP script.  I
also thought about defaulting the url to the http referer, so if you
were on a page you wanted to bookmark you could just type
"pellucidar.net/weblinks" in the address bar, and the page you were on
would come up in the URL field.  That would actually be easier than
extracting the page title for the name field.  In fact, off the top of
my head I can't tell you how I would get the title using PHP.  I'd have
to get the whole target page loaded in as a variable somehow, then parse
for the <title></title> tag.  I could do it externally with wget, but I
don't currently have shell access on the server.

Tim