[rescue] solaris telnet/ftp connection problems

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 21 22:40:09 CDT 2002

Hi,

I have the following system ,

Machine hardware:   sun4u
OS version:         5.8 solaris
Processor type:     sparc
Hardware:           SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

I had created a temporary directory (/opt/temp) for NFS sharing on sun
Solaris machine and put the share command entry in /etc/dfs/dfstab file as
follows,

share  -F nfs  -o ro    /opt/temp

i shared the directory and after using the share from another machine, I
deleted the directory but forgot to remove the share command entry from the
/etc/dfs/dfstab file and on top of that I needed to reboot the system for
some other reason.  After rebooting, this did something which caused the
machine to not accept any connections. The machine respond to pings as alive
but would not allow any telnet, ftp or x-term connections!!!!  It simply
says connection refused!

I am in a fix, how to solve this problem? I am guessing it is happening
because at the boot time, the nfs server starts and hangs as it doesnot find
the directory for sharing.... it doesnot time out perhaps.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would hope you guys to answer very
soon..

thanks

NK
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org