[rescue] solaris telnet/ftp connection problems

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Aug 21 22:44:53 CDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Kumar, Niraj wrote:

> i shared the directory and after using the share from another machine, I
> deleted the directory but forgot to remove the share command entry from the
> /etc/dfs/dfstab file and on top of that I needed to reboot the system for
> some other reason.  After rebooting, this did something which caused the
> machine to not accept any connections. The machine respond to pings as alive
> but would not allow any telnet, ftp or x-term connections!!!!  It simply
> says connection refused!

Are you running Sendmail as well?  If so, did you change your nameserver
configuration lately?  Sendmail can wedge a startup pretty hard.

> I am in a fix, how to solve this problem? I am guessing it is happening
> because at the boot time, the nfs server starts and hangs as it doesnot find
> the directory for sharing.... it doesnot time out perhaps.

I doubt that.  NFS is the last service to be loaded.  By the time NFS even
starts, telnet and ftp are all already running under inetd.  Something
else is amiss.  NFS will merely log an error if a shared directory is
missing.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would hope you guys to answer very
> soon..

Toss a console (keyboard and monitor, if there's a graphics card, serial
terminal if not) on the machine and reboot (yeah, go ahead and frob to
power button).  Then, see what comes up on the console.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)