[rescue] Good day's grabs

ed at the7thbeer.com ed at the7thbeer.com
Mon Aug 12 23:15:33 CDT 2002

> I think he tries too hard, I've run mine for *weeks* on a wood desktop
> (proped up on the little feet), crunching SETI at home packets
> (slow-but-steady... ;^) without any heat issues... Tadpole 3GX mine was
> ;^)

One of the insidious things about heat is that its effects can be
cumulative over time.  Heat causes chemical changes in certain materials,
many of which are found in our p00ters.  Heat = bad

> Nit to pick - computer Mfg. don't sell blowers/feel they are needed -
> accessory Mfg. sell blowers...

Computer manufacturers tend to test their gear in a limited environmental
spectrum.  Anyone remember the UltraSparc fiasco several years back when,
at sea level, the chips were fine, but >5000 feet increased cosmic
radiation started to fry them?  Same idea.  I don't think Apple tested my
G3 laptop in a house with ambient air temp about 37C, on my lap, running
full out on 2 batteries.  My sperm count is crashing from the heat alone
as I type. :D

> Think curb feelers - Chrysler doesn't sell them, J.C. Whitney does (I
> assume - work with me!)... Don't blame Chrysler for designing cars that
> need "curb feelers".

True, but don't you blame the driver in that case?  Scratched rims suck,
but each scratched rim I have = Ed was in a rush.  No rush, no scratch, no
need for feelers. :)