[rescue] Good day's grabs

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Aug 14 08:19:36 CDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nit to pick - computer Mfg. don't sell blowers/feel they are needed -
> accessory Mfg. sell blowers...

True, and in this case I think my friend may be overprotecting,
especially as I understand the tadpole design skipped the internal
heatsink and actually uses the magnesioum case as a heatsink, which
would explain how warm it gets.  But in this case it wasn't an accessory
maker creating demand, he found it while investigating solutions for his
perceived problem.  And from talking to him, there seem to be several
people uncomfortable with the heat coming out of the tadpole, he
mentioned someone had actually made a fan unit to set the whole computer
on.

but in response to your nit, I have seen laptops where I felt the
manufacturer was wrong about adequate cooling, or appropriate uses of
the machine, especially the new Compaqs which require them to be used on
a hard surface for the forced ventilation to work at all, (even a thick
tablecloth will block the intake) so whether the manufacturer feels they
are needed or not doesn't always mean they are right.

However, in response to my response to your nit, yes accessory
manufacturers can often be exploitive of false perceived need, and
people can often have false perceived needs. Think stick on cell phone
antenna boosters or clip on cell antenna radiation shields.  I really
enjoyed the radiation shield I saw in the store the other day, it
required you to leave your antenna retracted, and wrapped some kind of
crude etched metal shield around the tip of it, as if the antenna when
retracted into the cellphone doesn't radiate any horrible mutation
causing radiation. :-)

Tim