[rescue] Apple Emac is Shit

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Aug 12 09:39:05 CDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:24:56 -0700
"Fogg, James" <JFogg at vicinity.com> wrote:

> OK, I think I got it.
>
> The thermo sensor is near the top of the box, so blowing downward
> provides air to the sensor that hasn't been heated by the internals
> yet. Having a sensor near the top of a convection cooled enclosure
> makes sense as that would be the hottest place.
>
> Never having seen the inside of a cube I wouldn't know, but you might
> find there are airflow issues when blowing down. Its possible that
> Apple provided venturi shapes/etc. to assist convection flow.
>
> Of course I'm making massive assumptions here based on good design
> ideas.

I would be more inclined to think the fan blowing down actually moves
more air, a fan blowing down into the cube would have a relatively
infinite air supply, and air would be flowing limited by the ventilation
on the bottom of the cube, where a fan blowing up might starve and
decouple from the air in the cube.  Of course that is all based on a
totally foundationless assumption that a fan blows better than it sucks.
 Subjective experience has demonstrated that the box fan in the window
of my closed bedroom moves more air and cools the room more blowing in
than out.  Of course my wife enjoyed that discussion, because I was
arguing the other way :-)

Tim