[rescue] FedEx Ground

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Wed Aug 7 00:35:46 CDT 2002

> I completely disagree.  Stated working hours at the local post office
> are 8:30-4:30 pm.  What happens is that the workers will close the
> post office at 4:20 or 4:25 (lock the doors) in order to serve the
> last customer at precisely 4:30.

And every postal worker I know- or have known, has either had *mandatory* overtime or a *mandatory* hour cap. paradoxical? ask upper level pointy-hairs, I dunno.

But I sure as hell would not expect Rose at the counter here to serve me after 4:30 and either get no pay or get fired. If it were an employee owned companee.. I might think different.

> Further, they fight any private competitor that even looks like it
> might deliver something that vaguelly resembles first class mail.

I agree that it sucks. I don't see how it is significantly out of step with privatized businesses. Seems to me they are acting like any other corporations is *expected* and *encouraged* to act in modern amaerican business.

> And last, the paperwork requirements for any discounted rates are
> absolutely ridiculous.  They make you jump through hoops that UPS or
> FedEx, due to better automation, simply do not require.  You have to
> handle the mail differently depending on whether you are sending 9
> copies or 10 copies of a letter to the same zip code, for instance.

Totally true. and it sucks. And far too much of the reaosn for that lies with out elective government, and not the post office itself.

> The USPS is archaic and outmoded and should be defunded and left to
> either improve or die.  Although, Amtrak should go first.

IIRC , they are almost wntirely funded internally. I could be way off base, but I do seem to remember that being a big issue a while back.

-Christof