[rescue] FedEx Ground

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Tue Aug 6 23:50:24 CDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:51:49PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I am a firm believer that we get exceptional value for our
> money from the USPS.  There are areas that can do with some
> improvement, though, like having the counters properly manned

I completely disagree.  Stated working hours at the local post office
are 8:30-4:30 pm.  What happens is that the workers will close the
post office at 4:20 or 4:25 (lock the doors) in order to serve the
last customer at precisely 4:30.

Further, they fight any private competitor that even looks like it
might deliver something that vaguelly resembles first class mail.

And last, the paperwork requirements for any discounted rates are
absolutely ridiculous.  They make you jump through hoops that UPS or
FedEx, due to better automation, simply do not require.  You have to
handle the mail differently depending on whether you are sending 9
copies or 10 copies of a letter to the same zip code, for instance.

The USPS is archaic and outmoded and should be defunded and left to
either improve or die.  Although, Amtrak should go first.

[rant mode off]

./patrick