[rescue] FedEx Ground

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Tue Aug 6 23:51:49 CDT 2002

> Well, I've never had trouble with signature package delivery form my postman. I do have a flat out *ridiculous* wait in line anytime I go to the post office, but half of that is the university presence, the other half being the refusal by whichever head point-hair handles this part of California to open full services at the annex office. I never, ever wait less than 20 minutes. And it's *still* better than any of the MBE & clones around.
>
> As for the rates, IIRC, the USPS is supposed to be self supporting. Personally, I think they are doing a damned good job overall. For 34 cents, I can mail paper cross coountry in (generally) under 96 hours if it's at all in or near a big city. for 3.85 I cna send an sbus card within 72 hours to anywhere in conus. and I don't get "special" rates for residences, I don't get slammed with 8 day shipping from Santa Clarita to Davis like I just did for my hard drives.
>
> I hate the waiting in line, yes. But I don't think I somehow deserve to send a letter for a quarter.

This is the first carrier I've had that didn't properly attempt
to deliver packages or letters that required a signature.

I am a firm believer that we get exceptional value for our
money from the USPS.  There are areas that can do with some
improvement, though, like having the counters properly manned
during peak times.  I can't count the times I've gone in during
peak times and there've been only two out of five stations open
with more than twenty-five people in line.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net