[rescue] UPS batteries [was: (something different)]

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Aug 5 23:37:53 CDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Leslie Connally wrote:

>written and replied:
>>On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
>>vraptor at employees.org wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I thought was a good rescue was an HP UPS, but I can't find
>>> any docs on it and I'm pretty sure it needs new batteries, so it's
>>> just junk for the moment--anyone know anything about these things?  I
>>> can get a model number if it would help.
>>
>>Batteries are almost always standard sealed lead acid type, just match
>>physical size and capacity and go. ...et al
>
>I'd just like to add, everything Tim wrote is true.
>All the UPS manuf buy their batteries from someone else OEM. CSB is one
>(available here locally in Dallas at Altex). APC also used.. Panasonic??
>and there are others as well.
>
>physical size/terminal design/voltage/amp rating +- *
>
>*eg  CSB replaced the 12170 with the 12172

I found a guy who sells batteries at one of the swap meets.  I am
planning on replacing the batteries in an APC that I have with some
from him.

>If anyone wants their truly broken APC UPS fixed out of warranty, APC will
>direct you to a repair facility. Not _cheap_ but includes new batteries too
>& new warranty.  (or email me.. maybe I can find it) (havent tried them but
>am about to (bad relay on 1400RM)
>
>I;m sure the HP UPS batteries are available .. just open it up and see
>whats inside.. dont short anything.
>
>But its always a risk.. not shorting... buying new batteries only to find
>its actually broke :-(
>
>PS.. I;ve never liked the little HPs.. dont seem to come off battery well
>back to AC

This thing *ain't* little.  It's wider than the base of a modern ATX case
(~10-12" wide), deeper (~20" maybe), and about 10" high.  And it weighs
a frigging ton.

I haven't ventured to open it up.  I was hoping to find docs on it.
Email to HP went unanswered. :-(  Maybe I should call.  I got docs
on a 2nd generation Kodak digital camera that way.

>PPS.. two points.. if you buy your batties from APC, they let you return
>the dead ones.. you _do_ have to find a way to recycle the dead ones if yo
>buy them elsewhere. I hear AutoZone will take batteries

Home Depot takes *rechargeable* batteries (but not alkalines or other
non-rechargeables).  They probably weren't thinking this type of
thing when they started putting up the collection station, though.

=Nadine=