[rescue] UPS batteries [was: (something different)]

Leslie Connally lesliec at theplanet.com
Mon Aug 5 23:13:24 CDT 2002

written and replied:
>On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
>vraptor at employees.org wrote:
>
>> One thing I thought was a good rescue was an HP UPS, but I can't find
>> any docs on it and I'm pretty sure it needs new batteries, so it's
>> just junk for the moment--anyone know anything about these things?  I
>> can get a model number if it would help.
>
>Batteries are almost always standard sealed lead acid type, just match
>physical size and capacity and go. ...et al

I'd just like to add, everything Tim wrote is true.
All the UPS manuf buy their batteries from someone else OEM. CSB is one
(available here locally in Dallas at Altex). APC also used.. Panasonic??
and there are others as well.

physical size/terminal design/voltage/amp rating +- *

*eg  CSB replaced the 12170 with the 12172

If anyone wants their truly broken APC UPS fixed out of warranty, APC will
direct you to a repair facility. Not _cheap_ but includes new batteries too
& new warranty.  (or email me.. maybe I can find it) (havent tried them but
am about to (bad relay on 1400RM)

I;m sure the HP UPS batteries are available .. just open it up and see
whats inside.. dont short anything.

But its always a risk.. not shorting... buying new batteries only to find
its actually broke :-(

PS.. I;ve never liked the little HPs.. dont seem to come off battery well
back to AC

PPS.. two points.. if you buy your batties from APC, they let you return
the dead ones.. you _do_ have to find a way to recycle the dead ones if yo
buy them elsewhere. I hear AutoZone will take batteries

Also, if you do not buy from APC, save the littel plastic protectors, and
plan on buying some double stick tape

Also, if the batteries are really abused, you might have to disassemble the
entire UPS case to get the batteries out.. they swell and there isnt alot
of swelling room in the APCs

Les