[rescue] UPS batteries [was: (something different)]

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Tue Aug 6 07:54:55 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:13:24PM -0500, Leslie Connally wrote:
    [snip]
> I'd just like to add, everything Tim wrote is true. All
> the UPS manuf buy their batteries from someone else OEM.
> CSB is one (available here locally in Dallas at Altex).
> APC also used.. Panasonic?? and there are others as well.
>
> physical size/terminal design/voltage/amp rating +- *
    [snip]

I'll be finding this out soon. Last night- always at night, woke me out
of a sound sleep- my BestPower Patriot Pro 1000 failed its battery. I
guess the heat and four years of constant load were all it could take.
I'm a little concerned because, even though it didn't go down, it gave
off a smell that is a combination of hot electronics, ozone and battery
acid (not the sulfide smell but that 'your regulator cooked your
battery' smell I've had from overcharged Yuasas on my old motorcycle).

Looks like I might be buying a new unit.

- Ross