[rescue] WTB: Macintosh TV

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Fri Aug 2 14:49:08 CDT 2002

>On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Big Endian wrote:
>

>>Nope.  The 7100 uses a different bus (more of a PDS style system) and
>>is much more full featured.  This is just a video overlay (I dont'
>>think this can record to disk).
>
>Mac-speak: 7100 is NuBus, later models are PCI.  7100 is still a
>pretty strong machine, though, what with all the G3 upgrades
>available.

True.  <old mac user>  The x100 powermacs had a special Processor
Direct Slot (PDS) that was used for the A/V card, the high res video
boards, or in the case of the 6100 could be converted into a NuBus
slot.  The Apple TV/Video system isn't nearly that fancy.  What it
does is interface w/ the graphics controller and provides an overlay
for the "video" window.  The ability to record the data to a disk or
to reoutput video requires the higher powered A/V setup.  This is
just for old Performas and LCs to be able to watch TV.

>I don't doubt that there is something you could use to get TV
>in.  Have you looked at "EyeTV"?  It's a software+HW solution
>to get something like TiVo/Replay.  It requires USB + OS X.
>It *says* "meet the requirements for OS X support", but it'd
>be worth trying to do an "unsupported" OS X install and using
>it.  (http://www.elgato.com)  You can cut video CDs from TV
>recorded in "normal quality" mode with it.

Interesting.  I wouldn't think that USB has the bandwidth to push A/V
at any reasonable compression rates.  Of course I have an 8500 with
A/V system on the motherboard so I'm perfectly happy.

daniel