[rescue] Ultra?

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Aug 2 14:48:48 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:09:00AM -0400, robert brooke gravitt wrote:
>> Let me annoy you just a bit further: What's the scoop on the Sun Blade 100?
>> It looks like a nice little cheap workstation. I'm sure the U 30 would kick
>> the crap out of it, but I do have a lot of FireWire storage (nearly 1 TB)
>> and it's got 1394 ports.
>
>The only Firewire peripheral supported on the Blade 100 so far (AFAIK) is a
>webcam.  Firewire storage is not supported (yet) that I know of.
>
>> John from anysystem.com said he could configure the U30 with a 300 MHz proc.
>
>I'd go with the U30 and a nice fast framebuffer.  The only real advantage of
>the SB100 is cheap RAM and drives.

Refurb scsi disks aren't that expensive these days.  In silicon valley
you can get a refurb 36GB disk for about $150 or less.  And remember
there is no difference b/w Sparc 10, Sparc 20, Ultra I, Ultra II,
Ultra 30, Ultra 60, E250, E450 memory kits, other than some require
memory in pairs.  You can get 128MB sticks for ~75 each or less.

If the price point is the issue, get a AMD 1+GBMhz T-bird box and install
Solaris x86 on it. ;-)  (No hardware bias here, just OS bias.)

=Nadine=