[rescue] Ultra?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Aug 2 14:54:36 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 vraptor at employees.org wrote:

> Refurb scsi disks aren't that expensive these days.  In silicon valley
> you can get a refurb 36GB disk for about $150 or less.  And remember
> there is no difference b/w Sparc 10, Sparc 20, Ultra I, Ultra II,
> Ultra 30, Ultra 60, E250, E450 memory kits, other than some require
> memory in pairs.  You can get 128MB sticks for ~75 each or less.

Proviso:

SS10 mem kits may be 80ns instead of 60.  This can cause problems on later
machines.

Some _third party_ SS10/SS20 memory kits used a memory refresh scheme that
doesn't play nicely with the Ultra memory controllers.  I doubt there are
too many of these around, but I have a box of 32MB DIMMs with exactly this
problem that are useless on anything post-SS20.

Some require quads.  Some get better performance with quads (the U30 can
interleave, for example).  Some get even better performance with sets of 8
or 16 (420/450) with more than 2 CPUs in a system.

> If the price point is the issue, get a AMD 1+GBMhz T-bird box and install
> Solaris x86 on it. ;-)  (No hardware bias here, just OS bias.)

I actually do agree.  It's a shame that Solaris x86 will probably never
see its full potential due to political issues within Sun.

-James