[rescue] Ultra 5 strangeness

Paul Phillips paul at partitura.com
Sun Apr 28 19:18:19 CDT 2002

Hello -

My Ultra 5 running Solaris 8 recently started some strange behavior.

When I boot it, very early on in the boot process the console reports
something like "too many processes" or something like that.  Sorry, I don't
have the exact wording - I can't get to the machine right now.

Then it thrashes around for quite awhile - five or 10 minutes, then finally
seems to complete the boot and work quasi normally.  I say quasi, because
if it goes to sleep with CDE running, it won't take my password to return
to CDE from sleep.

ps -e doesn't seem to report any abnormal processes.  Besides, the "too
many processes" shows up even before any daemons are started, before the
network is initialized, etc.

I realize this is horribly incomplete information, but if it sounds faintly
familiar to someone, I'd like to know what it might be.

I can always just pull off the data files and reinstall... might be best.

Paul Phillips