[rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 23 16:20:45 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 23, 2001 at 13:41:18 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please
>
> On September 23, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > Can I ask what it is about IRIX that sucks so bad?  I mean, myself
> > personally, I would just run IRIX on those systems.  Maybe 6.5 isn't so
> > zippy on the older stuff, I dunno, that's why I am asking...
>
>   It just suffers the normal suckiness and "behind the times"-ness of
> all commercial OSs.  I've run it in production many times, and I've
> been using it on my desktop for about 2.5 years with great results.
> There's nothing really *wrong* with it.  A lot of people just can't
> rest unless they've got something to be all up-in-arms about, and if
> there's nothing legitimate, they'll come up with something.

IRIX is worse than that.  If that were it's only problems then it would
be more or less equivalent to many of the other commercial Unix
implementations.

What really sucks most about IRIX is their desk-top personal-OS mindset
and their total disregard for security.

Not only do they have probably more setuid-root binaries than any other
SysV-derived system, but they have had (and probably still have) more
buffer overflows in them than anyone else (and maybe everyone else
combined).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>