[rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 23 16:38:52 CDT 2001

On September 23, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> What really sucks most about IRIX is their desk-top personal-OS mindset
> and their total disregard for security.

  Well I don't run their mindset in on my network...I run the
software.  Security problems I can fix (and so can you, and any other
sysadmin that's worth a damn).

> Not only do they have probably more setuid-root binaries than any other
> SysV-derived system, but they have had (and probably still have) more
> buffer overflows in them than anyone else (and maybe everyone else
> combined).

  I've had an SGI machine cracked via a telnetd buffer overflow, yes.
At least it's not Linux, getting pounded on from every direction by
children with perl scripts. ;)

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire