[rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 18:03:32 CDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 03:05:04AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> That's actually a bit of a cop-out, or at least a major flaw in your
> logic -- you're assuming here that the tools you've chosen are the best
> at what they do.  I won't argue argue whether they are or not (because
> at least for the M$-based ones I don't ever have a need to do what those
> tools can do).  But I will disagree with at least the wording of your
> conclusion.

I dont like the fact that my job (as a UNIX systems admin, no less) requires
me to use Microsoft tools to get part of my job done (or at least assist in
some job duties).  However, thats what work tells me to use, and they sign
my paychecks - so rather than go "wait, i want to try to do all this on a
UNIX box" and spend half a day or more fiddling with it, i use each platform/
OS for what its best at *in my opinion*.  That is:

Wintel:
	Microsoft Word/Excel
	Exchange (email, calender, scheduling, address book)
	Visio

UNIX: (SPARC/HP/SGI)
	Everything else 8-)

Yes, I know, i could run StarOffice to get "equivalent" Word and Excel
functionality, and Dia is "almost there" when it comes to "doing the same
type of thing as Visio", but I have yet to see a UNIX client that will
interact (in some way OTHER than just pop3) with an Exchange server.

If I could get software packages that would read/write/edit Visio
diagrams without having to convert to an intermediary file format first,
and get a good UNIX equivalent of an Outlook 2000 client, I'd ditch the
Windows box on my desk at work in a heartbeat.  I also have a need for a
UNIX client for a Nortel VPN gateway.  If it makes you happy, I'm already
using VNC as my "remote access to work Windows machine" solution. 8-)

However, until all of that happens, I'll have multiple machines on my desk.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net