[rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 20:02:31 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 18:03:32 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed
>
> Yes, I know, i could run StarOffice to get "equivalent" Word and Excel
> functionality, and Dia is "almost there" when it comes to "doing the same
> type of thing as Visio"

I think you're still focusing far too much on specific tools and
specific file formats.

> but I have yet to see a UNIX client that will
> interact (in some way OTHER than just pop3) with an Exchange server.

IMAP?  :-)

I mean what's wrong with normal mailbox access?  What functions of your
job require more than just normal e-mail?

> If I could get software packages that would read/write/edit Visio
> diagrams without having to convert to an intermediary file format first,

I've never used visio so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses
are, but I've used lots of unix-based diagramming tools and I've never
had any problem getting the results I need.  I maybe take longer because
I'm not an expert at many of these tools, but then I take longer at lots
of different kinds of jobs that I'm not an expert at because I use them
all as learning experiences.  I always push the envelope of what I'm
trying to do so that I can learn something new.

As for intermediary file formats, well if you can't convert it then it's
got to be useless from a corporate perspective anyway.  Getting locked
into a proprietary file format is like letting your vendor make his
check out himself!

> and get a good UNIX equivalent of an Outlook 2000 client, I'd ditch the
> Windows box on my desk at work in a heartbeat.

Even if there is something in M$-Exchucks that a normal mail user agent
can't do I'd be loathe to get tied into it, even if all my co-workers
were using it.  Similar reasoning follows from the file format lock-in.
If your vendor's got you tied by the short curly ones to a specific
server platform then your as good as in bed with them.

>  I also have a need for a
> UNIX client for a Nortel VPN gateway.

Reagan's already suggested any IPsec client, but you've said that won't
work yet.  I'd suggest that if it won't work then it's must not be a
very good VPN, and indeed it must have come into being without taking
unix into serious consideration.

(That said I must say there's simply got to be a unix-based client
available from Nortel -- they're still one of the most unix-centric
companies of that size anywhere in the world!)

>  If it makes you happy, I'm already
> using VNC as my "remote access to work Windows machine" solution. 8-)

I think that misses the point....   :-)

> However, until all of that happens, I'll have multiple machines on my desk.

I have multiple machines on my desk -- they just happen to all be either
runing X11, or be normal ttys, system consoles, whatever.  (I'd love to
get one my DMDs running again, and may try to find desk space for it
once I get my primary workstation upgraded (os-wise) again.)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>