[rescue] RE:Re: New guy with a SS5...

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 2 14:15:50 CDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, John wrote:

> 	Thanks for the lead! I think this puppy is a 70 as that is what
> was marked on the CPU. How hard are CPU upgrades?

There are two kinds of SS5 boards, socketed and nonsocketed (well, there's
also clones, like the Tatung and Fujitsu ones, but those are a different
ball of stuff).

If your CPU is in a socket, the upgrade *should* be fairly easy. You can
upgrade to 85 or 110, I think (not sure if all of them came in socketed
and unsocketed; some may have been boardswap upgrades)... and you can get
a TurboSPARC upgrade to move it to 170MHz. That involves a new CPU
daughterboard type thingie and a new PROM.

I have a turbosparc 170 upgrade kit around here somewhere, and if the
person who expressed an interest in it a month ago doesn't want it (guess
I need to find who that was), I could part with it for suitable currency.
:) Contact me offlist if you want to be second in line for it (or if
someone else is interested they can drop me a note too).

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows