[rescue] Script Kiddies (Was: FW: Sun Microsystems...)

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 6 22:16:36 CDT 2001

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> >   I'm not quite sure how to put it...but it seems that computer people
> > are much more "boilerplate" nowadays than they used to be.  Their
> > skillsets seem to be converging over time to what is considered to be
> > the commercial mainstream...whether the commercial mainstream is worth
> > a damn or not.  Am I making any sense here?
> >

> Yes - look at "technology" instutes like ITT, New England Institute of
> Technology, your local community college.  All of the courses are designed
> with idiots in mind.  Consider the average IQ of attendees for these course
> is just below average - I know this by personal experience, unfortunately.
> I attended NEIT for two trimesters before my head exploded and had to leave
> for mental health reasons.

I worked with a guy who had taken a 1 year, $15k or 20k "Intensive
Windows and Networking" or some such class.  We are talking about a guy
who spent his own money to try to improve himself.  Granted, this may
not have been the wisest idea on his part, but whatever.

He is there at a DOS prompt, and can't figure out how to make a boot
disk.  My pal goes "type sys a: " and it works!  The guy is going,
"whoa, dood, lookit that".

He is looking at the Windows software package he needs to install, and
asks me how to check the amount of disk space left on the drive...I go
"run chkdsk", he goes,  "wow, how do you guys know all this stuff!?!?!"

Pathetic.

Meanwhile, a nice lady at one of my clients' sites has a recently laid
off hubby.  This guy was a bench tech for 17 years, knows how to make
signal generators for video, etc. - the company made high end broadcast
equipment.  He almost got suckered into the "you can be an NT
administrator for $65K per year" crap...

./patrick