[SunRescue] Dont feel like running BIND for 10 systems

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 31 04:38:42 CST 2001

"Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> wrote:

> With all the discussion about DNS going on, I thought I'd ask for any
> opinions on free or cheap DNS providers.
>
> So what I'm thinking is using a third party DNS provider, preferably free or
> cheap to do the same thing. I dont want to do it using differnet subdomains
> for my home and co-located sites either.

I register most of my domains through register.com, who provide a DNS
service too which you can twiddle through a webby interface - although for
almost all my domains I have simply used their web interface to set my
machine as the primary DNS server.  Of course, they *can't* do reverse
DNS for you, but I'm happy for my ISP to do that.

In addition to serving my own DNS from one of my machines at home, I also
have an arrangement where a couple of other people provide secondary DNS
for some of my domains and secondary MX hosts too.

I'd be more than happy to do some mutual secondarying with people if
needed - just as soon as I've figured out djb's axfrdns thingy :-)  I've
got as far as enabling people to do zone transfers *from* my box, but
haven't bothered yet (cos I didn't need it) with zone transfers *to* my
server.

Don't run bind.  It's far more pain than its worth.  djbdns rocks my world.

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **