[SunRescue] OT: dual PPro mb's...

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 15:09:30 CST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Rumour has it (I'm not a Linux user) even the 2.4 kernel has far
> "grainier" data structure locking for SMP than would be desirable for
> really good CPU utilisation.  I'm not sure how many CPUs it's designed
> to handle well either.  IIRC Linus said something about the locking
> being a little more coarse than he'd like in his rushed announcement of
> the 2.4 kernel.

Well, I was under the impression that Linus' comments were to be
interpreted as meaning that it was fine for 2way SMP, but not as good as
possible on 4, 8, or 16 way SMP.  SGI has a team working on tuning linux
for 32 and more CPU machines BTW.  They are working ontop of origin 2000
machines last I heard.  Most of the changes they make should also benefit
Intel users.

I can't really comment too much on network performance though since that
isn't my area of specialty.  Heck, I'm still running 10mbit everywhere in
my house rather than 100mbit.  I can tell you that dual processors get
twice the performance on kernel compiles.  I've also found that some
programs (like WindowMaker) can't be compiled using the -j2 flag.  Bummer.
I don't realy have anything else that would push my CPUs.  I haven't had
time to work on any threaded stuff since I got the machine running linux
(for the first few monthes of owning it, it ran windows to play DVDs).

--
Joshua Boyd