[SunRescue] OT: dual PPro mb's...

Cyrus M. Reed rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 18:16:29 CST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > That's why I upgraded to two 512k chips (from 256k) a couple months
> > ago. :)  And together they cost less than a third of the second 256k chip
> > I bought for the machine.  Sigh...
>
> Not nearly so good, and far less reliable, than ECC cache on the CPU die
> as in the PPro.  (or even in the same package as with the P-II).  :-)

I should have made that clearer - the upgrade was from two PPro 200
(256k) CPU's to two PPro 200 (512k) CPU's.  :)  IIRC the cache on the PPro
CPU's isn't actually on the same die as the CPU, but a separate die.  The
two are just placed together in the same physical package (which is why
the chips are so large, and rectangular in shape).  But it *is* still one
of the better CPU's Intel has made. ;)

-Cyrus