[SunRescue] re: [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 03:05:09 CST 2001

[ On Friday, March 30, 2001 at 00:16:10 (-0800), James Lockwood wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] re: [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies
>
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > You don't become a CLEC just by dropping in your own PairGains or other
> > similar DSL drivers on leased copper pairs!  :-)
>
> This is not what I was referring to, and I strongly suspect it was not
> what Jon was referring to.  I'm talking about actually locating equipment
> at the CO and tying into a fabric at that point.

I don't know what the telco co-lo rules and regs are around your area,
but it's not terribly fun here in Bell Canada country (from what I've
heard second-hadn from those considering it.)

> It's possible to get truly unloaded pairs in some locations, but it's
> certainly not universal.  The "contact closure" circuits Pacbell likes to
> sell do not have a large dynamic frequency range and tend to have some
> nasty glitches that show up on a TDR.  I've been investigating this.

Bell Canada tried their damndest to cancel LDDS service completely a
couple of years ago but the alarm companies reacted with great alarm and
caused the Bell boys to back-pedal with great speed, to the great
delight of all those of us using "dry copper" to run private high-speed
connections at low cost.  :-)

Bell have even gone so far as to brain-wash their installers into
getting angry at us for running private equipment at "T1 speeds" and
telling us we should be paying "The Company" full price for a real T1!

However apparently they'll still even remove taps on LDDS circuits, so I
guess all in all we've still got reasonable service around here.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>