[SunRescue] speakeasy.net

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 05:25:33 CST 2001

Scott Norwood <snorwood at redballoon.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>
> > I've heard lots of good things about speakeasy.net out of folks in the
> > Chicago area. I've heard lots of bad things about speakeasy.net from
> > folks who live in other parts of the country (Texas, etc.) Contact me
> > off-list and I'll put you in contact w/ folks.
>
> I have 192k routed SDSL service from them here in Virginia, using the
> NYC POP.  I switched from Flashcom (DSL provider from hell) in December.
>
> I've been mostly happy with the service, with the exception of major
> routing problems this weekend in NYC.  Generally, the latency is pretty
> good (50-150ms for most US sites), and reliability has been generally
> good.  Their customer service people are generally clueful, although
> (as others have said) their hold times on the phone are unreasonably
> long and email responses take about 24 hours.

I'm on 512/256 ADSL using BT as the carrier.  I get under 50ms to pretty
nearly anywhere in .uk, around the same to the east coast of .us and
150ms to the west coast and south.  It's only about 300 to 350ms to .au!
My ISP - nildram.net - are very clueful indeed.  They reply to emails
promptly, and they even return phone calls when they say they will.  And
they let me run whatever I want at home, no restrictions at all.

Is DSL provision on that side of the pond really as bad as everyone says
it is?  My experience here in .uk has been nothing but good.  This may
well be because BT spent well over two years testing testing testing and
debugging everything in sight instead of just rolling it out to make quick
money.  In the five months I've had it, the service has been very reliable
indeed.

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **