[SunRescue] re: [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 02:16:10 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> You don't become a CLEC just by dropping in your own PairGains or other
> similar DSL drivers on leased copper pairs!  :-)

This is not what I was referring to, and I strongly suspect it was not
what Jon was referring to.  I'm talking about actually locating equipment
at the CO and tying into a fabric at that point.

It's possible to get truly unloaded pairs in some locations, but it's
certainly not universal.  The "contact closure" circuits Pacbell likes to
sell do not have a large dynamic frequency range and tend to have some
nasty glitches that show up on a TDR.  I've been investigating this.

-James