[SunRescue] Leasing Employees - way [OT]

Stefan Hames rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 18:59:10 CST 2001

>This is a guy wth two masters degrees who was unable to find a job for two
>years. He's been there for 18 months so this was during the peak of the
>hiring frenzy as well. There is no way that someone with his education and
>research experience should be making $45k.

Well, while I agree with your sentiments, I am 5 weeks from my
doctoral dissertation defense (I'm an ecologist - not a "useful"
skill like aerodynamics....) and contemplating salaries for beginning
professors in the sciences in the high 30s-low 40s.  Most require
substantial research experience, and post-doctoral research
experience as well. (Some states are worse, and schools with
religious affiliations are  _always_ worse).  Don't even think what
school teachers make, who make not only make less money, but don't
even get what little respect that academics do.  (Besides which,
teachers have a chance to get shot today.....)  I think that our
priorities are way out of whack when it comes to education.

Just my $0.02.

Stefan

Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (home)
        607-254-2496 (lab)
        607-254-4262 (campus)
        607-255-8088 (fax)