[SunRescue] Leasing Employees

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 10:46:18 CST 2001

--------------09EF37A3820503A0859F4989

The only problem with that is that when their system is having a problem, they
may be down until somebody can physically get to their system to fix it.  It
is definitely faster for me to fix my own problems (short of broken hardware)
than it is for me to call a desktop technician to come out.  Even if it takes
me an hour, but it only takes him five minutes, I will be back up days before
if I do it myself.

Ed

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> A lot of the people of this list seem to be sysadmins.  Personally, my
> goal in life is to either be a scientist or a developer or some
> combination of those two and possibly other fields.
>
> With that in mind, I dream of the day that I can forget how to install
> netscape or administer linux, and when something needs to change (either
> it broke or needs upgraded) I can just call my companies tech support
> desk.  Figuring out why xmms won't compile (because dselect only installed
> a minimum of the libgnome dev files) and silly problems like that are the
> bane of my existance, and if they won't go away, then I want someone else
> to be in charge of fixing them.
>
> By the way, if the developer makes the same or more than you do, then
> there is a good business reason for you to install netscape instead of
> him.  You probably will be able to get it done faster than he would be
> able to, so if it takes you 30 minutes to do it, but would take the
> developer an hour, then the company got a half an hour of extra work.
>
> One company I worked for understood this, and so developers were to call
> tech support over machine problems rather than try and fix them
> themselves.
>
> --
> Joshua Boyd
>
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:14:58AM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > > The scary thing is I'm afraid I'm going to burn out,
> > > and I'm only 22.
> >
> > I realized today why I got out of tech support.
> >
> > One of our developers called up today.  He was unable to
> > figure out how to install Netscape for Solaris.
> >
> > This is a guy who programmed a major part of one of
> > our network management/monitoring systems - and he
> > couldnt figure out how to install netscape.
> >
> > I pointed him at the Netscape FTP site, the proper
> > directory, and the README.txt file.  Then, I went
> > and beat my head against the wall in the bathroom.
> >
> > Bill (and he probably makes more than me, too..)
> >
> > --
> > Bill Bradford
> > mrbill at mrbill.net
> > Austin, TX

--------------09EF37A3820503A0859F4989

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate